Monday 18 June 2012

Victorian Portraits


This is one of a series of mono-print studies I did based off some of Hill and Adamson's - photographers based in Scotland around the 1840s - calotypes of working folk. I really wanted to see how far I could push the process of mono-printing by trying to see how much detail I could obtain with the technique. It was a bit of an arm breaking experience... but was thankful that I made each one no more than A6 in size!

Here are the other mono-prints that I put into postcard no. 1 for my tutor...


Over the last few years I've been a big fan of early black and white photography. The posture and expressions of the people photographed look so alien to the way we pose for photographs today - let's just say you don't see many toothy grins! Quite a few people seem to be posing like they would for a painting. I suppose this is due to the fact that photography was such a new concept at the time AND was a far more laborious process than it is to now.


No comments:

Post a Comment